Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Interview of the Parris Award Namesake!

I am pleased to introduce you to today's guest, Parris Afton Bonds. You may recognize her name because the Parris Awards were named after her. Here is a short bio about this interesting woman:

Parris Afton Bonds is the mother of five sons and the author of  thirty-five published novels. She is the co-founder of and first vice-president of Romance Writers of America.

Declared by ABC's Nightline as one of the three-best-selling authors  of romantic fiction, the award winning Parris Afton Bonds has been  interviewed by such luminaries as Charlie Rose and featured in major  newspapers and magazines as well as published in more than a dozen  languages. She donates her time to teaching creative writing to both  grade school children and female inmates.

The Parris Award was established in her name by the Southwest Writers  Workshop to honor a published writer who has given outstandingly of  time and talent to other writers. Prestigious recipients of the Parris  Award include Tony Hillerman and the Pulitzer nominee Norman Zollinger.

I asked if she would speak to us and asked her a few random questions:

Starr Gardinier Reina (SGR): Tell our readers a little about you, personally. Readers love to get
to know authors.


Parris Afton Bonds (PAB): Starr, 2012 marks forty years that I have been writing professionally.   For forty years I've ridden the mind-exhilarating, heart-breaking roller coaster that is professional writing, and I have had to learn  that attitude is what professional writing ~ and living ~ is all  about.  That attitude of success is the main characteristic of a  story's protagonist (hero) ~ indomitable.  Never giving up! (and the antagonist's (villain) main characteristic:  ruthlessness.)

SGR: In one short paragraph, describe the premise of "Indian Affairs."

PAB: Turning conventional wisdom on its head, Washington socialite Alessandra O'Quinn and her lover, Indian shaman Manuel Mondragon, defy time and space and politics and families to come together in the sweeping canvas of the 1920's New Mexico outpost of Taos. Can they defy Destiny to stay together?
SGR: What is your feeling about marketing? What do you do to promote yourself and your work?
PAB: Like most of my published writer friends, I  find self- marketing very difficult. For one of my earlier books, I borrowed money on my book contract from the bank and arranged for a  two-week tour on red eye flights, different city every day. After two weeks, I returned home to find a husband ready to divorce me and five sons who had been in and out of the emergency room, the  principal's office, and juvenile court. But what did I care?!  My  novel "Dust Devil" had gone into a second printing before it was ever  published, I received a couple of film options on it, and it went on  to garner several awards. :)

SGR: Where do you see yourself (literary-wise) in one year? Five  years?

PAB: Enjoying myself, hugely writing ~ either on top of the best  seller lists or at the bottom. Either way, I love to write. That's the cake. Best seller lists are the icing.

SGR: What is next on the horizon for your authorial talents?

PAB: I'm  writing Book II, "Call Me Crazy," a sequel to "Dancing With Wild Woman" (my Janet Lomayestewa Tracker series) and "Kingdom Come," a historical  romance about one of the largest cattle ranches in the world located in south Texas.

A huge thank you, Parris for speaking with me, your readers, and your fans. To find out more about Parris, visit her website at: parris@parrisaftonbonds.com. Her latest novels are ebooks and are available at Amazon.com:  "Dancing With Wild Woman" and "Indian Affairs."

No comments:

Blog Gadget